Thursday, January 22, 2009

Minelab Explorer II Finds Old Silver Buckle - Best of Kellyco Treasure Stories

Minelab Explorer II Finds Old Silver Buckle

I’ve considered myself a Metal Detectorist for about 30 years. On and off since the 1970’s, I had given the hobby up for several years and started getting back out there in 2003. About a mile from my house, in beautiful New Hampshire, there is a farm owned by wonderful folks. It’s run full-time, ‘round year – they grow produce in the summer and Christmas trees in the winter.

Last fall they gave me permission to hunt their property and I've spent a lot of time out there. I've even found many large coppers and some really old 1700's pewter spoons. But my best find was something all together different and very, very old.

I was searching in a small patch of a garden that's not far from where the old garrison once stood on the original farm in 1650. The owner of the property often drives his tractor along the side of the corn garden to access his field, and by chance I decided to go over the area with my Minelab Explorer II.

I got a strong signal and after digging about 5" deep a silver buckle popped out. I didn't even clean the mud off until I got home, but when I did I recognized it right away. I cleaned it under running water and saw a beautiful, small silver shoe buckle that was used from 1650 to 1720. The chape and tongue design are noted in several reference books as those of the Tudor-Georgian period.

I showed the owners and they were really happy to see that piece. They’ve encouraged me to hunt the farm as often as I would like and as a gift to them I hand-painted a beautiful 1800’s bottle to display in their shop. This is the only silver buckle I have ever found there, but it is also one of the oldest pieces in my collection.

Ed in New Hampshire

1 comment:

consolesforfree said...

very interesting article, if you want to watch hundreds of metal detecting videos all on 1 website then http://metaldetectingvideos.co.uk is the place to visit