Tuesday, January 6, 2009

1738 George II Half Penny - Found on Thanksgiving Day

1738 George II Half Penny - Found on Thanksgiving Day

As I was growing up in the town of Niantic, CT my father always took me hunting and the Thanksgiving Day Pheasant Hunt was always something special. Now my youngest son and I enjoy a different type of hunting... treasure hunting. We have been treasure hunting for about one and a half years now. The finds just seem to get better the more I learn the Minelab Explorer ways.

My son TJ loves collecting coins and has quite a nice collection. Half of the coins he has are coins we have found. Our dream is to someday find a Morgan Silver Dollar. We once found a 1906 Indian Head Penny, then a pre-1900 coin was our goal. We haven't found one yet but on Thanksgiving Day we found a 1738 George II Half Penny. It was found a short distance from our home at a place we've hunted before. When nine year old TJ removed that coin fromt he hole his eyes became as large as pie plates and he started screaming "WE'RE RICH! WE'RE RICH!"

That coin didn't make us financially wealthy but I wouldn't trade that day for any amount of money. Thanks Kellyco for making our hobby so enjoyable.

Found by T.J. from Niantic, CT

No comments: