Monday, December 15, 2008

Minelab E-Trac Metal Detector Review

One of our top salesmen, Nathan, has reviewed the Minelab E-Trac metal detector. This is great news because he is amazingly experienced and can give us a great idea of how this metal detector preforms. His specialty is Minelab and being a computer-savvy guy, we trust his word.

The E-trac is the newest metal detector in the Minelab line. With the large LCD and the new light weight coil, this detector is comfortable to swing for a few hours. I hunted a local park near my house. It has a wide open field down the middle with park equipment next to a basketball court on one side and tot lot on the other.

Before I went out, I used the E-trac X-change program with my computer to make a few adjustments of my own to upload to the E-trac. It is easy to understand and the upload was pretty fast. While at the park, I was picking up a few modern coins that were near the surface of the ground. They were averaging about 1 to 6 inches. With the controls at your finger tips, the menu is easy to access and make changes on the fly. I started finding more targets at deeper depths. I measured one target to 15 inches.

The improved pinpointing with the new coil made it fast and easy to recover targets. The gauge at the top of the screen was very useful. A crosshair in the middle of the gauge lights up once the center of the coil is over the target. The depth indication was pretty accurate even in the pinpoint mode.

With the new USB port for computer communication, I can see how the possibilities are going to be endless for the capabilities of the E-trac. I give it five stars, and the price, extremely reasonable for the amount of technology this machine houses. It is a great detector for anyone with its preset programming. And with the advanced settings, you may be surprised what this metal detector can do for you!

- Nathan Gerics

No comments: